Hemorrhoids and Fissures
What are hemorrhoids HEMORRHOIDS, what are they?
Hemorrhoids are blood vessels in the anal area serving as cushions during bowel movement. Internal hemorrhoids are located inside the anus while external hemorrhoids are located outside.
What are the types of internal hemorrhoids?
First degree hemorrhoids.Hemorrhoids that bleed but do not come out during passage of bowel movement.
Second degree hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids that occasionally bleed and come out during bowel movement but go back in.
Third degree hemorrhoids.Hemorrhoids that occasionally bleed and come out during bowel movement but can be pushed back in manually.
Fourth degree hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids that are pushedoutside and can not be pushed back in manually anymore.
What does hemorrhoids a person with experience?
There is usually bleeding of bright red blood dripping into the toilet bowl during bowel movement. Often, a mass or fleshy tissue comes out during straining.
What are the different types of treatment for hemorrhoids?
Medical management: for first and second degree internal hemorrhoids.
Rubber band ligation: for bleeding first and second degree internal hemorrhoids. This involves application of an elastic band at the base of the internal hemorrhoid.
• A high fiber diet that includes fruits and leafy vegetables.
• Adequate fluid intake.
• Avoidance of straining in the bathroom
Surgery: for persistent symptoms of bleeding, fleshy mass coming out, and problems with hygiene; unresponsiveness to medical management; or third or fourth degree or mixed (internal and external component) hemorrhoids.
• Hemorrhoidectomy: for third and fourth degree internal hemorrhoids. This is the traditional method of removing hemorrhoids. It makes use of a knife, scissors and other devices such as ligasure or harmonic scalpel.
• Stapled hemorrhoidopexy makes use of a surgical stapler to remove hemorrhoids and is associated with minimal post operative pain.
• Transarterial hemorrhoidal dearterialization: for second and third degree internal hemorrhoids. This method makes use of Doppler ultrasound to detect arteries which are then ligated. This method is also is associated with minimal post-operative pain.